April 2018 Goals + 90-Day Goals
Whew, the big launch of A Brush with Vampires (The Clan-Vampire Clash: Book One) is over. And it went better than I expected! Yay for that. But now that it's over, it's time to focus on the next book...and the one after that...and maybe, just maybe, the one after that.
As usual, I'll update the progress on March's goals then on my ninety-day goals from January - March 2018. After that, I'll dive into setting new ninety-day goals for April - June 2018, then on specific goals for April. So what I'm saying is: sit down, get yourself a glass of water/tea/coffee/beverage, and get ready to read a long one.
Update on March 2018 Goals
- Launch A Brush with Vampires (The Clan-Vampire Clash: Book One) on March 20th! Make it as stress-free as possible by sticking to my launch schedule.
- Result: Success! I mean, mostly. A Brush with Vampires did launch on March 20th, but it wasn't as stress-free as I would like. It was less stressful than the book launch of The Impossible Creation, so that's a win.
- Work on Book Two's print readthrough comments. Get about halfway through. Stretch goal: Finish them!
- Result: Mixed bag. Ended up de-prioritizing Book Two to focus on the launch of A Brush with Vampires and my attempts to make it stress-free. So not the worst thing, but didn't end up meeting this goal. I did make through about the first third of comments, though.
- Work on Book Three self-editing. Get through what is marked as Chapter 28 (will probably be something like Chapter 15 in the final version). Stretch goal: Get through what's marked as Chapter 31 to meet ninety-day goals.
- Result: Fail. Again, ended up de-prioritizing in favor of Book Two (which then got de-prioritized in favor of Book One's launch). C'est la vie.
- Reminder goal: Have a way less stressful book launch this time around. Never forget!
- Result: Mixed bag. I mean, it was less stressful than the launch of The Impossible Creation, so that's good. And I did more for it, so that's even better. But that doesn't mean it was in any way stress-free. If anything, I feel like there was more stress overall (perhaps related to that "doing more for the launch" thing), just spread out over a longer period of time. But I mean, progress is progress, and this was better. So there's that.
Update on January - March 2018 Goals
- Book One of The Clan-Vampire Clash: Finish final edits by January 31st. Launch by March 31st.
- Result: Success! Well, mostly. I did have a surprise ending tweak that leaked into March, but everything except that was finished by the end of January. More importantly, A Brush with Vampires (The Clan-Vampire Clash: Book One) launched on March 20th, well before that March 31st deadline.
- Book One Launch: Complete all items as shown on the launch schedule.
- Result: Calling this one a success too. I didn't quite do everything listed on that launch spreadsheet, but that's fine since it's overly ambitious on purpose. Plus, I finished more of the launch spreadsheet this time around than for The Impossible Creation, which is all I can ask for. I also didn't quite finish things by their deadlines more often than not. But they still got done and it wasn't like I was flying around like a chicken with my head cut off. Well, mostly. Less than during The Impossible Creation's book launch.
- Book Two: Complete print readthrough excluding addressing comments by March 31st. Stretch goal: Address those comments!
- Result: Success! I'm probably about a third of the way through the comments right now, so I didn't meet the stretch goal, but I did start in on it. Granted, part of the reason I was able to do this was by de-prioritizing Book Three...
- Book Three: Complete self-edits through what is currently marked as Chapter 31 (about the next two-thirds). Stretch goal: Finish it! At least the self-edits portion.
- Result: Fail. I mean, I did fail partly on purpose since I chose to prioritize getting through the print readthrough of Book Two (and thereby publishing Book Two sooner) over Book Three. But a lot of it was also due to the book launch of A Brush with Vampires (The Clan-Vampire Clash: Book One) taking more of my time than I anticipated/wanted. And maybe the self-editing of Book Three is taking a bit longer than I anticipated too. Anyway, I'm through what's currently marked as Chapter 26, but I think that's okay. I guess we'll see?
- Continue scheduling cross promotions, giveaways, etc., but don't forget to leave a hole around the launch time for Book One of The Clan-Vampire Clash.
- Result: Super-success! Left a nice little hole around launch time for A Brush with Vampires and had all my cross-promotion and giveaway slots filled beforehand and immediately after.
- Stretch goal: Start in on the Book Four rough draft.
- Result: Nope. Didn't have a prayer of this with the book launch of A Brush with Vampires taking more time than I anticipated.
April - June 2018 Goals
Note: I'm looking at my 2018 goals as I do this, to ensure that I'm on track for the year (or at least as on track as possible).
- Book Two of The Clan-Vampire Clash (Title TBA): Complete print readthrough and delivery to beta readers by April 30th. Address beta reader comments by June 30th. Stretch goal: Do final Kindle readthrough by June 30th.
- Comparison to 2018 goals: Stretch goal is possible, but unlikely. On track or early for regular goal.
- Book Three: Complete self-edits through what is currently marked as Chapter 33 (a little over three-quarters of the way through). Stretch goal: Finish it! At least the self-edits portion.
- Comparison to 2018 goals: Stretch goal is all but impossible. On track—but definitely not early—for regular goal.
- Continue scheduling cross promotions, giveaways, etc. Factor data from the launch of A Brush with Vampires (The Clan-Vampire Clash: Book One) and adapt strategy accordingly.
- Comparison to 2018 goals: Pretty much exactly the same.
- Stretch goal: Start in on the Book Four rough draft.
- Comparison to 2018 goals: Stretch goal for Book Four is not happening. On track for regular goal, though not as confident about when I'll write the rough drafts of Books Five and Six.
April 2018 Goals
- Book Two of The Clan-Vampire Clash (Title TBA): Finish print readthrough. Deliver to beta readers.
- Book Three: Self-edit through about midway what is currently marked as Chapter 28. Stretch goal: Finish Chapter 28.
- Analyze the book launch of A Brush with Vampires (The Clan-Vampire Clash: Book One). Adapt both launch and long-term marketing strategies accordingly.
- Schedule cross promotions, giveaways, etc. for May and June.
There we have it. So. Many. Goals.
And as usual, let's see what I was doing this time last year.