October 2018 goals + new 90-day goals
Yay, I'm right on time this month!
As usual for the close of the quarter, I'll update the progress on September's goals, then see how I did with the ninety-day goals for July through September. Then I'll set new ninety-day goals, then new October goals.
Ready? Let's dive in!
September 2018 goal update:
- A Brush with Betrayal (The Clan-Vampire Clash: Book Two): Send the advance review copy to The Certain Cell (my team of advance readers) by September 7th. Finish any last-minute edits by September 30th, completing the book(!).
- Result: Success! Sent the advance review copy on September 5th (look at me, being all early!) and didn't need to do any last-minute edits this time around. :)
- Sam's story, the Troupe-only side story: On hold until after the launch of A Brush with Betrayal. Stretch goal: Start back in on Sam's story by the end of the month.
- Result: Welp, I didn't hit my stretch goal and Sam's story is still on hold. I'm hoping to get back to it this week, although the Book Three edits have priority.
- Book Three of The Clan-Vampire Clash (title TBA): Prepare the first chapter sneak peek for the back matter of A Brush with Betrayal.
- Result: Complete! And I even started in on the next round of editing for it.
- Book Four of The Clan-Vampire Clash (title TBD): Finish the outline, then start in on the rough draft. Stretch goal: Get halfway through it.
- Result: Nope, changed my mind here and decided I'd rather move Book Three through its final round of editing before beta readers, then write Book Four. So Book Four's back on hold.
- Continue working on the tasks in my launch preparation spreadsheet for A Brush with Betrayal. Highest priorities are: deciding on and creating launch bonuses, planning promotions, finalizing copywriting, and preparing a paperback draft.
- Result: Success! Launch bonuses are decided and created. Promotions are planned (for the most part anyway). Copywriting is most of the way there, as is the paperback draft. Don't mind me while I pat myself on the back.
- Schedule cross promotions for November and on as possible.
- Result: Mmm, I guess fail here? I don't have much set up for November and probably not as much as I could have. But that's this and next week's tasks.
Update on ninety-day goals from July through September 2018
- A Brush with Betrayal (The Clan-Vampire Clash: Book Two): Finish addressing beta reader comments by August 10th. Finish final edits by September 7th. Stretch goals: Finish addressing beta reader comments by August 3rd. Finish final edits by August 24th.
- Result: I didn't make the stretch goals, but I made the regular ones, so I'm calling this a success.
- Book Three of The Clan-Vampire Clash (title TBA): On hold in favor of finishing up Book Two and writing the rough draft of Book Four. Stretch goal: Start in on the next round of editing by the end of September...which seems even more unlikely than usual, given the rest of July and most of August (at best) is devoted to Book Two and writing Book Four will probably take at least all of September, so...I guess we'll see?
- Result: Well, I did make the stretch goal in that I have started in on the next round of editing...but I did so by putting Book Four on hold. C'est la vie, I guess.
- Book Four: Get at least halfway through the rough draft by September 30th, 2018. Stretch goal: Finish it!
- Result: NOPE. I mean, partially because I chose to work on Book Three instead. But even if I had decided to work on Book Four, there's almost zero chance I'd be halfway through the rough draft. I'd be lucky to be a quarter of the way through the rough draft.
- Troupe-only side story: Publish a new chapter in each biweekly newsletter, pausing only for when I need to survey readers about what should happen next and plot accordingly and during launches.
- Result: Success! I mean, I haven't published a new addition to Sam's story in a while, but that was because the stop-to-survey happened about two weeks before the stop-to-launch. So it's on hold, but that was planned.
- Prepare for Book Two launch according to its launch spreadsheet. Analyze the June summer flash sales of A Brush with Vampires and The Impossible Creation and adapt sales and launch strategies accordingly.
- Result: Yup, I analyzed the June flash sales and I'm working on the Book Two launch according to its launch spreadsheet as much as possible. I'm slowly become less and less behind, lol.
- Continue scheduling cross promotions, giveaways, etc.
- Result: Success! I mean, this one's easy to do and requires roughly the same amount of time per month, so it's not super difficult. That said, it's always nice to have a goal that's easy to achieve!
Ninety-day goals for October through December 2018
Note: I'm looking at my 2018 goals as I do this, to ensure that I'm on track for the year (or at least as on track as possible).
- A Brush with Betrayal (The Clan-Vampire Clash: Book Two): Launch on Sunday, October 21st, 2018! Complete all the items in the launch spreadsheet! Do so without stressing myself out!
- Comparison to 2018 goals: Squeaking in under the wire a whole ten days before my goal. Missed the stretch goal by a long shot, naturally.
- Book Three of The Clan-Vampire Clash (title TBA): Address all comments from copy editing by November 30th. Deliver to beta readers by December 4th (which happens to be one of my beta reader's birthdays).
- Comparison to 2018 goals: Welp, by the time Book Three is in its final draft, I'll have missed my 2018 goal by something like three months I think. And I don't even want to talk about the stretch goal. But I guess this teaches me to add a little padding, particularly to books that are farther out from publishing.
- Book Four: Complete the outline by the end of the year. Stretch goal: write the full rough draft by the end of the year? Is that even possible? Whatever, I hate having things linger over the holidays, so we'll see.
- Comparison to 2018 goals: Oof, yeah. Not gonna come close here (again with the probably needing to add padding to books that are farther out). But I'm hoping to start writing it in mid-December, though that's awful timing with the holidays. So, we'll see.
- Troupe-only side story: Based on reader survey, outline what happens next. Write the rough draft for the next season. Deliver fully edited episodes in newsletters starting in mid-November.
- Comparison to 2018 goals: Again, this wasn't mentioned in the 2018 goals since it wasn't a thing I was doing back then.
- Continue scheduling cross promotions, giveaways, etc.
- Comparison to 2018 goals: Pretty much exactly the same.
October 2018 Goals
- A Brush with Betrayal (The Clan-Vampire Clash: Book Two): Launch on Sunday, October 21st, 2018! Do so without stressing myself out!
- Book Three of The Clan-Vampire Clash (title TBA): Get about halfway through the copy editing (last round of editing before beta readers). Stretch goal: Get farther (obviously)!
- Book Four: On hold.
- Troupe-only side story: Based on reader survey, outline what happens next. Write rough draft of next season. Stretch goal: Start in on the editing of season 2.
- Schedule cross promotions and giveaways throughout November and into December.
And as usual, let's see what I was doing this time last year. Even though I'm not where I want to be (yet), it's fun to see how I've come.